Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Things They Carried


I just finished reading this book, The Things They Carried.

The book is about a platoon of soldiers in Vietnam. It's sort of a collection of short stories, but also sort of not? They are more like chapters, I think.

I have never read or learned a lot about the Vietnam war, apart from learning about it in school. I've never really enjoyed literature about war either, but I was at home on Sunday night, finished the book I was reading, and decided to read this. I took an Intro to Fiction class my first year of college, and as a class we had to choose what book to read. The Things They Carried was one of the options; we ended up reading a book called The Collector (also a very good book), but since I never got to read this, I decided to steal my parent's copy of it and give it a try.

It is really good. Reading about something as intensely emotional as a war like Vietnam puts a lot of things into perspective. It made me think about the things that I carry with me on a day-to-day basis, and the things I worry about, and while it did make me realize that a lot of the stresses I carry do seem sort of trivial next to  being shot at or having to soft through waist high mud looking for a member of your platoon that has been pulled under after being shot, it didn't make me feel like the things I worry about are unimportant. It's a book about war, but I also feel like it's a book about what other people mean to us, what we mean to each other, and how those things affect our lives.

I definitely recommend the book.

Also, I have not been taking pictures as much as I would like to lately. I think I'm going to goal myself to go out and take pictures at least once a week. I need to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment