Friday, February 3, 2012

IPA

Did you know that "g" is a voiced velar stop?

What about "a"? Did you know it's a low, back, unrounded (lax, depending on whether or not it matters to you) vowel?

I know the names of all of the consonants and vowels in the International Phonetic Alphabet. I am incredible proud and incredibly happy that I don't have to try to memorize them anymore. For my Linguistics class, we memorized them and are being tested on them on Monday. At first, it was really hard, and then I kind of figured it out. I'm anxious to take my test on Monday.

This is what the IPA looks like, and this page is also the key to my being able to write in it!


Yeah, see if you can read that. That is some (possible unsavory) hip-hop lyrics that I spent forty five minutes transcribing in the IPA.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god, what is this madness? You are a riot grrl.

    ReplyDelete