Thursday, October 13, 2011

Feminism Rules!

First of all, watch this video. I just did, and it made me cry.

Lately, I have discovered that I am definitely a pretty hardcore feminist. I love being a woman, I love my body, and I love what women have accomplished and what we will accomplish.

I think it's so easy to get discouraged about being a woman. In today's society, women feel the pressure to be someone else's idea of perfect, which usually entails being tall and thin, having clear skin, long, wavy hair, a kick-ass wardrobe, and probably some hot man candy. The fact of the matter is, hardly any women look like that, and for a lot of women, it's not possible. Making us feel insecure about our looks is one of the biggest ways that men gain control over women. In a society that takes everything at face value, it's easy to judge people based on how they look.

Women aren't built to be thin. We're built to have babies and protect them. Our bodies are meant to be strong and healthy and active, and I am one hundred percent sure that we were not put on this earth to be hungry and pining to look like someone else our whole lives.

Now, I'm not saying that being thin is bad, because its not. But what my point is is that neither is being fat, or short, or having curly hair or a crooked nose, or a big mouth. We can't, to a large degree, control what we look like. But we can control what we think and feel about ourselves. Some women like eating, some women like exercising. Some women are muscular, and others are fleshy. Women's bodies are capable of such variety, it's amazing really, but so often we ignore the things that are so incredible about our bodies because they don't look like women in movies or tv shows.

I honestly believe that the idea of perfection that many people have about looks is something created by a few (not very smart) men who want women to submit to them. If we are too busy worrying about our weight or what others think about our bodies, how can we apply our minds to anything? How can we solve the great problems of the world? How can we support and encourage each other? A male standard or "beauty" is no standard at all; it's a pipe dream.

In a perfect world, all women would realize that their bodies are strong and beautiful, and more importantly, their minds are also strong and beautiful. Whether you are straight or gay, black or white, transgender, religious or not, rich or poor, whatever, you are a powerful creature, capable of so much more than a male-controlled society will let you do.

At first, I thought that it would be difficult to push back against these ideals, and then I found easy ways to do it in m every day life.

1. I like wearing skinny jeans and fitted shirts. I do it. I don't care if people don't like my muffin top or my big boobs. I don't care if my thighs rub together, and I don't care if maybe wearing two different kinds of plaid together is not the best idea. I am going to wear what I want.

2. I do not condone or participate in slut shaming, or any kind of judging of other women's sex lives. I live by the S&P code. Women's bodies are their own to do whatever they want with them, especially when it comes to sex. I'm a virgin, and I don't really plan on having sex anytime soon, but what business of mine is it if another woman wants to? Slut shaming is another thing that men pulled out of their butts one day to control women. You've all heard the argument that a man sleeping around is okay, and even encouraged, but women are sluts if they do? It's absolutely true. Men are often rewarded by their peers for being sexually active. Women, though? Sleeping with lots of guys makes them easy.

3. I speak my mind and don't let anyone tell me what to do. Being a feminist is that easy. All you have to do is be yourself and not apologize for it, to anyone, ever. We have as much a right to have a personality, have ideas, be outspoken, make mistakes, and be political as men do, and everyone should exercise that.

To the women reading this: you are powerful, you are important, you are beautiful, inside and out. I love you, and I support you in everything that you do. I hope that you extend these feelings to all the women in your life. I truly believe that it is in our power to make changes in the world that matter if we work together and make the world a positive place for females.

1 comment:

  1. I fucking love being a feminist too. I love how afraid people are of feminists too. It's terribly liberating as my tranny self to not allow social constructs to hold me back. I love the S&P code. Hell yeah!

    ReplyDelete